- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Portuguese chourico, broken into large chunks
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 5 Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
- 2 pork chops
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons Pimenta Moida (Portuguese hot chopped peppers)
- 1 bunch kale – washed, dried, and shredded
- 1/2 head savoy cabbage, shredded
In a large soup pot, cook onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until soft. Mix in choirico, beans, and potatoes, and then add pork chops to the pot. Season with salt and pepper, and add enough water to the pan to cover all of the ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, and simmer until potatoes are tender.
Once potatoes are tender, taste soup, add Pimenta Moida and more salt and pepper. Stir in kale and cabbage, and increase heat to gently boil. Kale only needs about 5 minutes. You may add some water if the soup got too thick, I like this soup on the brothy side.