- 10-inch pie crust
- 4 very large tomatoes or the equivalent of plum tomatoes, sliced, gently squeezed and drained for 10 minutes
- 1/2 C chopped malabar spinach leaves
- 1/2 C chopped basil
- 1 small sweet onion, sliced; separate the rings
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt & pepper
- 1 C milk or soy milk
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 4 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 C diced pan friend potatoes (hash browns) – optional
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Pat crust into pie plate. Flute edges and chill while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
Mix eggs, milk and 1/2 cheddar cheese. Salt & pepper to taste.
Remove crust from the refrigerator. Place tomatoes in an even layer on the bottom of the crust. Sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste. Layer sliced onion rings on top of the tomatoes and evenly distribute the minced garlic. Top with spinach and 1/2 the basil. Layer potatoes evenly on top.
Pour egg mixture evenly over the vegetable layers. Layer with remaining basil and sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese over the top.
Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. Allow to cool 10-15 minutes until set.