- 2 pounds collard greens – rinsed, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 2 pounds fresh ham hocks
- 1/2 pound salt pork
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
Place ham hocks, salt pork, onion, bay leaves, red pepper flakes, and sugar in a large pot with the chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, and cook for 30 minutes.
Stir collard greens into the pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, and cook for 30 minutes, or until greens are tender. Season with red wine vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.