- 1 pound tilapia fillets, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from chipotle peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups panko crumbs
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
- 2 cups 3 color coleslaw blend
- 1 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
- 8 (7 inch) flour tortillas, warmed
- Place the tilapia chunks in a flat dish and pour 1/2 cup lime juice over the fish. Cover, and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the honey-cumin sauce by whisking together 1/3 cup lime juice, honey, vegetable oil, and ground cumin a small bowl. Set aside until needed.
To make the chipotle mayonnaise dressing, place the mayonnaise, chilies, adobo sauce, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and cayenne pepper together in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Cover, and refrigerate until needed.
To bread the fish, place the flour, eggs, and panko crumbs in three separate shallow dishes. Season the fish with salt and pepper to taste. Dip the fish pieces first in the four, coating evenly, and shaking off any excess. Dip next in the eggs, and last in the panko crumbs, patting the pieces to help the breadcrumbs hold. Set the fish aside on a plate.
To cook the breaded fish, pour 1 cup vegetable oil into a skillet to 1/4 inch deep. Heat the oil to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C) over medium heat. Cook the fish, turning until all sides are golden brown, and flesh is easily flaked with a fork. Drain on paper towels. Brush the fish with the honey-cumin sauce.
Mix the coleslaw and cilantro together in a bowl. Reserve 1/4 cup of the chipotle
mayonnaise dressing, and pour the remaining dressing over the coleslaw mixture. Toss to coat evenly with the dressing.
Place the tortillas on a flat surface, and spread each with 1 tablespoon reserved chipotle mayonnaise dressing. Divide the fish between the tortillas. Top with the cilantro coleslaw.